Wednesday 1 June 2011

Catalyst Install Manager not installing Display Drivers



Today while I was trying to get OpenCL (Wikipedia Link) working on my Asus G73Jh Laptop (Link 2) with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Card I decided to try completely uninstalling and reinstalling all AMD/ATI drivers and software. I used the ATI Catalyst Install Manager's "Express Uninstall ALL ATI Software" option. However after restarting I tried to install the most current Catalyst Software Suite to find that while choosing a "Custom" setup that a number of the options were not showing up, most worrying the "Display Drivers" were not being installed. Attempting to upgrade the graphics card's drivers via Windows (Device Manager) didn't help, nor did attempting to install the drivers (in the Catalyst Software Suite's Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF directory) manually.

I thought I was really stuck when I decided to download the drivers from the COMPUTER'S manufacture's website (Asus) verses the GRAPHICS CARD'S manufacture's (AMD/ATI) website.

This allowed me to get an initial install of the graphics card's driver from which I could then install the latest drivers from the card's manufactures website. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment